Installing SQL in windows server 2012

12:46 PM

SQL Server
  • Windows Server 2012
  • SQL Server 2012 Standard SP1
  • Memory: 8GB RAM
  • CPU: 4
  • Drive: 1x80GB, 1x40GB
  • IP Address: 192.168.67.12
  • Domain: contoso.com
  • Name: server2012sql
  • Target Drive: 2 (OS and SQL Server install)
  • Target Drive: 1 (Database install)
Note the following in the Virtual Machine Settings. I set up one processor with four cores. clip_image002
Add a Second Hard Disk
I set up a second Hard Disk by clicking on Add… at the bottom of the Virtual Machine Settings screen. The Add Hardware Wizard screen appears. I select Hard Disk and click Next. clip_image003 I click Create a new virtual disk in the Select a Disk screen and click Next. clip_image004 I leave the settings in the Select a Disk Type screen as is and click Next. clip_image005 I change the Maximum disk size to 40.0 in the Specify Disk Capacity screen and click Next to continue. clip_image006 I specify the location and filename for the virtual disk file in the Specify Disk File screen. I click Finish to continue. clip_image007 I click OK to close the Virtual Machine Settings screen. I want to restart the server to apply the changes. I click on Local Server. clip_image008 I click on Tasks and select Shut Down Local Server. clip_image009 I select Restart on the What do you want the computer to do? drop down list. I change the option to Hardware: Installation (Planned), add a comment, and click OK to continue. clip_image010 The server restarts. I logon with the local Admin account. I click on Tools \ Computer Management to finish adding the second disk. clip_image011 The Computer Management screen appears. I click on Storage \ Disk Management. clip_image013 I right-click on Disk 1 and select Online. clip_image014 The status of the drive changes to “Not Initialized”. clip_image015 I right-click again and select Initialize Disk. clip_image016 The Initialize Disk screen appears. I leave the settings as is and click OK to continue. clip_image017 The status of the drive changes to Online. clip_image018 I right-click on the drive and select New Simple Volume. clip_image019 The New Simple Volume Wizard screen appears. I click Next to continue. clip_image020 I leave the settings in the Specify Volume Size screen as is and click Next to continue. clip_image021 I leave the settings in the Assign Drive Letter or Path as is and click Next to continue. clip_image022 I change the Volume Label in the Format Partition screen and click Next to continue. image I click Finish in the Completing the New Simple Volume Wizard screen. clip_image023 The second hard disk appears in the list. clip_image025 I close the Computer Management screen.
Change the Server Name and the IP Address
I want to change the server name and IP address. I click on Local Server. clip_image026 I click on the displayed computer name and the System Properties appears. clip_image027 I click on Change and the Computer Name / Domain Changes dialog box is displayed. I update the computer name as displayed below. I click OK to continue. I will update the domain later. Computer name: server2012sql clip_image028 I click OK when asked to restart the computer. clip_image029 I click on Close to close the Systems Properties screen. clip_image030 I click on Restart Now. clip_image031 The computer immediately restarts. I confirm that the computer name has changed. clip_image032 I click on the Ethernet setting to change the IP address. clip_image033 The Network Connections screen is displayed. clip_image034 I double-click on the Ethernet icon and the Ethernet Status window is displayed. clip_image035 I click on Properties and the Ethernet Properties dialog box is displayed. clip_image036 I click on Internet Protocol Version 4 and Properties. I select Use the following IP address and enter the IP address displayed below. Note that I added the Domain Controller server as the preferred DNS server address and I added the IP address of my home router as the alternate DNS server. I click OK to accept the changes and continue. clip_image037 I click Close to close the Ethernet Properties dialog box. I click Close to close the Ethernet Status dialog box. I close the Network Connections window and I am returned to the Local Server dashboard. I can see that my change is applied. clip_image038 I click on WORKGROUP in the Properties display. clip_image039 The System Properties screen is displayed again. clip_image040 I click on Change… and the Computer Name / Domain Changes screen is displayed. I select Domain and enter contoso.com. I click OK to continue. clip_image041 The Windows Security screen appears. I enter the Administrator account on the domain controller and click OK to continue. clip_image042 A Welcome screen appears. I click OK to close the screen. clip_image043 I click OK to restart the computer. clip_image044 The System Properties screen shows the updated Domain. I click Close to close the System Properties screen. clip_image045 I can see that the Local Server properties is also updated. clip_image046 I click Restart Now on the Restart screen to restart the server. clip_image047 The server restarts immediately. I logon with the local Admin account. I check the Local Server Properties. clip_image048 I want to add SQL_Admin as a Local Administrator on the SQL Server. I click on Tools \ Computer Management. The Computer Management screen opens and I select Local Users and Groups. I expand and select Groups. clip_image050 I double-click on Administrators and the Administrators Properties screen appears. clip_image051 I click on Add... and add Contoso\SQL_Admin to the Enter the object names to select box. clip_image052 I click Check Names and the Windows Security screen appears. I enter the credentials for Administrator and click OK. clip_image053 The name is validated. I click OK to continue. clip_image054 The SQL_Admin account appears as a member of the Administrators group. clip_image055 I click OK to close the Administrators Properties screen. I close the Computer Management screen.
Windows Firewall
I need to configure Windows Firewall to open a port for SQL Server. I click on Domain: On beside Windows Firewall in Server Manager \ Local Server. clip_image056 The Windows Firewall screen opens. clip_image058 I click on Advanced Settings clip_image059 The Windows Firewall with Advanced Security screen opens. clip_image061 I click on Inbound Rules clip_image062 I click on New Rule … under Actions on the right menu clip_image063 The New Inbound Rule Wizard screen appears. clip_image065 I select Port and click Next. clip_image066 I keep TCP selected and enter 1433 as the local port. I click Next to continue. clip_image067 I keep Allow the connection selected and click Next to continue. clip_image068 I keep all of the settings on the screen and click Next to continue. clip_image069 I enter values for Name and Description and click Finish. clip_image070 The Inbound Rule is saved. I will create additional Inbound Rules: Port Description TCP 2383 Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Analysis Services with Default instance TCP 2382 SQL Server Browser service TCP xxxx SQL Server 2011 Analysis Services (if used) TCP 80 SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services (SSRS) TCP 135 SQL Server 2012 Integration Services (SSIS) I close the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security screen. I close the Windows Firewall screen.
Install SQL Server 2012
I click on VM \ Settings on the VMWare toolbar. clip_image071 The Virtual Machine Settings screen appears. clip_image072 I click on Add… and the Add Hardware Wizard screen appears. I click on CD\DVD Drive and click Next. clip_image073 I select Use ISO image and click Next. clip_image074 I browse to the ISO image (en_sql_server_2012_standard_edition_with_sp1_x64_dvd_1228198.iso) that I have for SQL Server 2012 Standard. I click Finish to continue. clip_image075 I click OK to close the Virtual Machine Settings screen. A message appears in the top right corner of the screen. I ignore it for now (because I want to switch user accounts). clip_image076 I click CTRL-ALT-DEL in the VMWare toolbar. I click Switch user in the screen. clip_image077 I click Other user. clip_image078 I enter the credentials for SQL_Admin and click the arrow. clip_image079 I click the Libraries folder on the task bar at the bottom of the screen. clip_image080 The Drive Tools screen appears. I select the F: drive that I just mapped to the SQL Server ISO file. clip_image082 I double-click the setup file. The User Account Control screen appears and I click Yes to continue. clip_image083 The installation process begins. clip_image084 The SQL Server Installation Center screen appears. clip_image086 I click on Installation and New SQL Server stand-alone installation …. clip_image088 The Setup Support Rules screen opens. It shows that all rules passed. I click OK to continue. clip_image090 The Product Key screen is displayed, I enter a product key, and I click Next to continue. clip_image092 The License Terms screen is displayed. I click on I accept the license terms and click Next to continue. clip_image094 I see two recommended product updates on the Product Updates screen. I click Next to continue. clip_image096 The installation process continues. clip_image097 A message box appeared during the installation. I clicked OK to close it and continue. clip_image098 Another message briefly appeared and then closed. clip_image099 The Setup Support Rules screen lists warnings. There is one warning about Windows Firewall; but I already made the required changes. I click Next to continue. clip_image101 The Setup Role screen appears. I leave the settings as is (because I want to customize and configure). I click Next to continue. clip_image103 The Feature Selection screen appears. I select the following Microsoft SQL Server 2012 features for a fast SQL Server setup :
  • Database Engine Services
  • Client Tools Connectivity
  • Client Tools Backwards Compability
  • Management Tools – Basic
I change the directories to point to my second drive (E). I click Next to continue. clip_image105 The Installation Rules screen appears. I click on Show Details to see the details. I click Next to continue. clip_image107 Note: I did have a problem reported with installing Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 one time. I did not get the problem again when I added my home router as the second DNS server in the IP address configuration. So I think the solution is to have an Internet connection available to the Windows 2012 Server. The Instance Configuration screen opens. I change the Instance root directory to point to the second drive (E). I click Next to continue. clip_image109 The Disk Space Requirements screen displays the disk summary. I know that I have plenty of disk space (for now). I click Next to continue. clip_image111 The Server Configuration screen opens. I change the settings by changing two of the account names and include the passwords. I display the Locations and Select User screens below. clip_image112 clip_image113 I click Next in the Server Configuration screen to continue. clip_image115 The Database Engine Configuration screen opens. I add Contoso\SQL_Admin as a SQL Server Administrator. clip_image116 I select Mixed Mode and enter the password for the SQL Server system administrator. I click Next in the Database Engine Configuration screen to continue. clip_image118 The Error Reporting screen opens. I click Next to continue. clip_image120 The Installation Configuration Rules screen opens. I click Show Details to see the details. I click Next to continue. clip_image122 The Ready to Install screen opens. I click Install to continue. clip_image124 The Installation Progress screen opens and the installation process begins. clip_image125 As a side note, my Lenovo ThinkPad looks like it is working for a change. clip_image126 The Complete screen appears. The status of every feature is Succeeded. I click Close and the screen closes. clip_image128 I close the SQL Server Installation Center screen. I click on the Windows Start button on the keyboard. I can see new icons for SQL Server programs. I click on the [ESC] key on the keyboard. clip_image130
Max Degree of Parallelism Setting
I need to change the setting for max degree of parallelism. I click on the SQL Server Management icon. clip_image131 SQL Server Management Studio starts up. The Connect to Server screen is displayed. I click Connect. clip_image132 The Object Explorer pane shows the SQL Server listed. clip_image133 I right click on the SQL Server SERVER2012SQL and select Properties. clip_image134 The Server Properties screen appears. clip_image136 In the Select a page section, I click Advanced. I scroll to the bottom and change the Max Degree of Parallelism value from 0 to 1. I click OK to continue. I keep the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio screen open for the next step. clip_image138
SQL Permissions for sp_install
I need to set the following roles on the SQL Server for sp_install:
  • DB_Creator
  • Security_Admin
  • Public
In the Object Explorer, I expand Security and Logins. clip_image139 I right-click on Logins and select New Login. clip_image140 The Login – New screen appears. I enter the account (CONTOSO\sp_install) that I will use for the SharePoint installation into the Login name field. clip_image141 clip_image143 I click on Server Roles and select dbcreator and securityadmin. I keep public selected. I click OK to continue. The screen closes. clip_image145
SQL Permissions for sp_farm
I need to set the following roles on the SQL Server for sp_farm:
  • DB_Creator
  • Security_Admin
  • Public
In the Object Explorer, I expand Security and Logins. clip_image139[1] I right-click on Logins and select New Login. clip_image140[1] The Login – New screen appears. I enter the account (CONTOSO\sp_farm) that I will use for the SharePoint farm administrator into the Login name field. clip_image147 I click on Server Roles and select dbcreator and securityadmin. I keep public selected. I click OK to continue. The screen closes. clip_image145[1] I








































































































































































































































































You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Translate

Wikipedia

Search results